The Smith's Journey

Follow us on our journey through family life. No matter where we live you will be able to keep up on our happenings. Have fun and remember to leave comments.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Surprise, Surprise!!

Ok Mum, here goes your story...
It happened on a fine thursday afternoon. I was at home with the girls after school when I get a txt from my big sister asking if they can pop over as they are out my way, (Deanna & Jess live in ChCh). So of course I txt back "yep".
I heard the girls say "Jess! Jess is here!"
Then I hear "Gran!! Gran!!"
I thought that was a strange thing for the girls to say so I came out to the lounge. And lo and behold, there is my Mum standing in my lounge! The strangeness with this is that mum lives in Brisbane, Australia.
She was not meant to be here!
I stood for a while with my mouth open and my eyes popping.
"Well don't I get a hug?" Mum said in a nonchalant voice.
"I... uh... I... uh... What are you doing here?!" Obviously my brain was having one of those moments where a brain-cell explodes. Of course I did hug her, lots!
From there I found out that she had surprised Deanna too. Mum and Dad had asked Deanna to pick up some 'friends' from the airport. Deanna and Jess were trying to spot these 'friends' when Mum appeared in front of them.
It's amazing how the mind works. Because they weren't expecting mum they didn't actually recognise her at first. Of course once they did it was all on with hugs.
When Deanna had txt me I had the fleeting thought of, 'oh, I should clean up a bit. Nah, it's only Deanna'. I wish I had now!
Anyway, Mum ended up staying a couple of weeks. She had to come and sort out the stuff they'd left here. We got to spend some time with her when she stayed with us a few nights. It was such a nice time for both Mum and myself. We shopped (thanks Mum for that), and we blobbed, had coffee and lunch. I even got to show her off at the Coffee group at Church. It was very good that she also got to see and stay with Nana. We had a farewell dinner at Sequoia 88 restaurant. It was a lovely time but hard to say goodbye once again.
Dad, you did so well over there while mum was living it up here. It would have been nice if you were able to come too, next time eh.

So there ends the saga of the surprise!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home