The Smith's Journey

Follow us on our journey through family life. No matter where we live you will be able to keep up on our happenings. Have fun and remember to leave comments.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The last day in Wellington (7:10:07)

I had a bad nights sleep last night. Stupid dreams and noisy dreams. Makes sense considering it's nick name is 'Windy Wellington'! I woke up quite early and dozed for a wee bit -a luxury- Jo and I got up to watch the 1/4 final of the Rugby World Cup between the All Blacks and France. A sad day for New Zealand, it was such a close game and considering I'm not into sports I was gutted that they lost. I ended up very close to the t.v. and shouting at the ref!
We decided that it was too late to go to church as we had to catch a bus at 9:20am and at that time we were still in our pj's. Couldn't leave a game like that! We were reluctant to ring our hubby's not being sure of how deep their grief was. Steve took it pretty hard, Terry was a bit more philosopholic, saying that it was only a game after all and in four yrs they will have their chance at it again.
We got ready to go to Ezibuy to look for the clothes we had wanted to find, we were successful and I ended up getting one or two other things besides. We had a quick bite at the Borders bookshop cafe to figure out what bus to catch to go to the Katherine Mansfield house.
We both thoroughly enjoyed the house. It was done in the way it would have been in her time (late 1880's). It had so much information on our (NZ's) most famous author. It saddened me to find out that she died in 1923 at just 34yrs old. Such talent and creativity as a young female writer in a time that didn't have a lot of female authors. I bought a book of her journals and letters published by her husband and Jo bought a book of all her short stories. We are going to do a swap.
On the way home we had to stop at the Haitaitai Chocolate shop. We had arranged for a gift for Jo's Aunty as a thankyou. And of course we had to have a taste of some as well. I also bought a few for Terry which didn't last long when He received it. We grabbed a Mocchacino at the cafe next door who used the same cocoa beans as the chocolate shop. Yummy!
We got home just in time for Jo to catch a taxi to the airport. She had to be back in Kaiapoi in time for the Fuller St Cafe night that she organises. After She left there was a lightening and thunder storm with very heavy rain. I was a bit anxious about Jo's flight and hoping that mine didn't get delayed!
For the rest of the evening I read my book with a glass of wine and my chocolates until I had to taxi to the airport. A nice wind down to finish our most excellent holiday. And my flight was not delayed!
I do thank the Lord for the lovely weather (except for Sunday), and the chance to have a break away which both Jo and I needed. I have come back ready to face the new term (I think!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home