The Smith's Journey

Follow us on our journey through family life. No matter where we live you will be able to keep up on our happenings. Have fun and remember to leave comments.

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Just a family update

I took Tank to the vet today for his vaccination, micro-chipping, and worming tablet. I also learnt how to trim his nails. He weighed 7.5 kg when we first got him. He now weighs a whopping 11.5kg!! That my friend’s, is only three weeks worth of growth. Wow! He’s gonna be a big boy! We already knew he was going to be big so it’s not really a surprise for us. He’s so beautiful. The vet goes all soppy over him. She told me to drop in any time as they would love to see him. She’s not the only one that goes soppy. He’s very popular at school with both children and parents/teachers.
I taught him to ‘stay’ today. He’s already cottoned on to it and I only spent two lots of 10 minute sessions with him. He has already recognised a few other commands without me doing anything.
He has found a new toy—the watering can. As you can see from the photos he is a very entertaining animal! I am however getting sick of rotten rags, bones, and other things that he keeps digging up and ‘retrieving’ for me. I found one of my socks on the front lawn today. Much to say he knew he had done a naughty. I was playing baseball with Emily on the front lawn this evening and he started to ‘retrieve’ the ball, it was great until he decided he wanted to keep it. We gave him his favourite toy in a trade off—his pine-cone. Yep, he has a thing for pine-cones. He has one out front and two out back. Oh and I have given up on the toilet mat. It’s my fault really as it is very close in texture to his sheep skin. Who needs a toilet mat anyway?!
Anyway enough bragging!
Emily and I had a very intense girl talk today. It was about the fine art of friendships. It was so good to spend that time with her. It was only about 15 – 20 minutes, but it was precious. I could have shrugged her off and carried on with the hundred and one other things I had to do, but I made the choice to stop and talk to her. I have felt guilty for a long time about not spending one-on-one time with the girls. Now that I’ve made the first step, I will make an effort to carry on. I think Em is up to the ‘pre-teen’ age and stage. Where relationships get more complex, awareness of yourself and how others see you, and the silly giggly age. I certainly need help on the silly giggly thing. Em has a great sense of humour but some of is just plain silly!! In fact I think she’s the only one to find something in particular funny, then, she’s laughing too hard to tell us why she’s laughing! I’m sure I wasn’t this way at her age! Don’t comment on that one mum.
I’m still not sure what to do with Sarah-Jane. She is – hmm, what is she? I know, a bright star that shines through the clouds at night. Her personality is one of vitality mixed with stubbornness (she gets that from Terry) and determination. But she is such a girly girl. She came back from Megan’s house (neighbour) with a beautiful princess dress-up dress on. Megan had given it to her and I think SJ would have slept in it if I didn’t have to sow up a couple of tears in it (which I haven’t done yet). She lines all her teddies and dolls along her bed, there’s hardly room for her! Yes, I know mum, I use to do that as well. Even have the photo’s to prove it. Sometimes I think that Sarah-Jane and I are so alike that we end up clashing heads.
Aimee, she’s a wee minx! Her teacher informed me this morning that yesterday Aimee refused to do her work. Absolutely refused! In the end Amber (Mrs Wing) had to put her in a separate part of the class room and she had to stay in there till she did her work. But Aimee didn’t budge and ended up being in there from morning right through to lunch. It’s the first (and hopefully last) time that she has behaved like that in fact she is the first of all three that has played up at school! Oh dear, what is in store for us! I do think that if we stomp on it now it won’t become an issue. I have made an agreement with her that if she behaves at school then she can have a reward when she comes home. But if she has played up then Amber will write in her notebook and Aimee will have to go to bed 10 minutes early. Here’s hoping. I will reward each day for a few days then take it to every two and then three etc.
Well I better finish now as it is midnight and I must get up in the morning to the girls as Terry is off to golf at 8:30am. I hope he is still well enough to play. He’s very blocked up and is rather miserable. Now I can hear him snoring – very loudly! Maybe I’ll sleep on the couch. Nah, I’ll just shove him every now and then. Gotta have my comfy bed. Any way Tank is sleeping on the floor beside me and He is snoring as well! Men!

1 Comments:

  • At 5:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hi Lydia, sounz like alot of fun having a dog. Alan said that he saw a girl at camp who looked like you and Terry and of course I knew it was Emily. We Love you all heaps, Quinns

     

Post a Comment

<< Home