The Smith's Journey

Follow us on our journey through family life. No matter where we live you will be able to keep up on our happenings. Have fun and remember to leave comments.

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Books I'm reading

Books that I’m reading
My best mate Rach told me about this idea to blog the books that I’m reading at the moment, giving a brief review. So here is my first entry.
At the moment I’m trying to read four books at once—not an easy task!!

The first one is “Pilgrim’s Progress in Today’s English”, written by John Bunyan retold by James H. Thomas.
I tried to read this book a number of years ago. I didn’t get very far when I gave up, the way it was written with the old English language was too hard to understand. I am really enjoying this version. Of course I haven’t finished it, but I do look forward to get back in to it. This copy I have borrowed from a friend at church who is a person after my own heart. They (Ian & Debbi) have a hallway full of books! I could spend a long time just looking at them all let alone reading them! I very much appreciate them opening up their book collection for me to read.

Book number two is “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Golden Retrievers”, written by Margaret H. Bonham.
Again I haven’t read this from cover to cover, but I find this kind of book one that I can flick through to find the topic I want to read about. It’s helpful to get the gist of how to train Tank. I used it to teach him to stay and it has worked well. Some of the techniques I wouldn’t use or wouldn’t be bothered to use, but all in all, it’s good for someone like me—new to owning a dog.

Book three is “The Dog Listener” by Jan Fennell
This book was recommended by Rachael, it is a book that is about learning the language that dogs speak. Recognising that they will never learn our language but we can learn theirs and be able to understand what our dog is trying to tell us. This lady has been on U.K. television with her techniques. I have used a couple of techniques and it has already made a difference in the relationship between me and Tank. He now understands that I am the ‘Alpha’ the leader of his pack.
I haven’t finished it yet but it is making interesting reading and I would recommend this book to anyone thinking about getting a dog or already has one.

Book four – “Seduced by Success” by Ann Kiemel Anderson
This is one I found in the church library. It caught my eye due to the front cover blurb ‘No longer addicted to pills, performance, and praise’.
People who know me very well will know my past errors. This woman had it all with being a successful teacher, writer, speaker, wife, and mother to four boys. What caught my eye was the fact that for years this woman lived behind a mask of happiness. In the end she snapped and God met with her at the bottom of her ‘pit’. There are similarities between her and I; not the four boys or the speaker, teacher etc; but the hitting rock bottom thing is very familiar. Once again I haven’t finished reading it but I do believe I will get a lot out of this book.

I hope you enjoy this part of my blog. Feel free to leave comments on books you’re reading. I find it very interesting finding out what others are reading. It shows a bit about the type of person they are. Of course I hope that doesn’t mean I’m a fragmented character because I read four books at a time!

2 Comments:

  • At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am so looking forward to janurary and reading some of the pile of books by my bed. At the moment I am looking a bit at a devotional given to me by a friend called "reasons for the seasons". I haven't read anything aside from Textbooks for awhile but they have been interesting - or does that make me boring. I am thinking of getting my own copy of an introduction to the old testament!! I also really liked a book I read for an essay (you have the essay Lydia if you are interested its the mission issues one.) it was by Myers, Bryant L. Walking with the Poor: Principles and Practices of Transformational Development. Ok so I'm boring ... love Jo

     
  • At 2:35 PM, Blogger lydia said…

    Not boring at all! Education requires reading appropriate litriture. Well done for being disciplined enough to read them. I definately struggle in this area.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home