The Smith's Journey

Follow us on our journey through family life. No matter where we live you will be able to keep up on our happenings. Have fun and remember to leave comments.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Wanaka

Well we are back from our week away in Wanaka, it was so good to get away. The photos are in no particular order. I've realised that the easiest way to post the photos and to write about them is to upload the photos first otherwise the typing goes all over the place. So I will start with this one:

Here we are at the Outlet Camping Park. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to go and stay at Wanaka. It's about 5 min drive from Wanaka township and is a lovely camp surrounded by Manuka trees and makes each campsite private by the way they've cleared out the camp sites amongst the trees and brush. Terry and the girls are biking towards the shower/kitchen/laundry/toilet block through this pretty tunnel. Basically the girls biked every day nearly all day! Apart from Aimee who we are still trying to teach to ride. She would skip behind them. Terry is on Jo's bike hence the reason why she is walking! Such a gentleman eh!


The next two photos are obviously Terry hitting a golf ball; where he is hitting it is the funny part. The blue you can see is Lake Tekapo with Mt Cook behind it (in later photos). The lake was so still and the photo doesn't do justice to the colour of the water, it was the most beautiful aqua colour. This is on the way home and we just had to stop to take photos of Mt Cook, Terry stopped behind us (he drove the work van with Em and SJ and Jo drove our car with the two other girls). He couldn't resist the opportunity to hit a golf ball into the lake; it was a good shot too, went right out into the lake.



This is the photo of Mt Cook, on the way down it was overcast and showery so there was no view whatsoever so when we saw this on the way home (which was such a hot day it was really hard travelling) we had to take the photo.


The following photos were taken at Puzzling World at Wanaka; these are the toilets. Much to say it's very confusing when you walk in and this is what you see the mural on the wall.





I'm not sure quite what Terry is thinking about, perhaps realising how comfortable the seating was! On the wall in the shop of the complex there are photos taken of other people sitting on the 'loo', one lady was brave enough to actually pose with her pants down! Thank goodness you couldn't see all the details! I offered Jo that opportunity of that particular pose but strangely she turned down the offer! The girls just couldn't stop giggling about the mural.




Ray, I thought this quilt was amazing, not sure if the puzzle of it shows very well in the photo but when looking at it the squares can seem to come out at you or recede into the pattern.



How many animals can you see in the above photo?
How many legs does the elephant have?


One of those power balls with that follow your hand around it with the electricity.






This is outside of the complex where anyone can go and take photos. It's really hard holding up a building that big! We grow strong girls over here eh!




Cromwell witht the big fruit. We were able to catch up with my Auntie and Uncle who own a pub there called 'The Pub'. It was nice to catch up albeit briefly.


Back at camp with Terry on the mountain bike again, he really enjoyed a ride that Steve and he went on. He would get into it if he wasn't already busy with Soccer and Golf!


You might be able to tell by Emily's face that it was cold in the lake! We did manage to swim a few times - by we I mean me and the girls; the other adults were to sissy to get in. The water was, how shall I put it... refreshing. Okay it was jolly cold and my hands froze! But at least I got in!
I better add that Terry and Jo did get in at different times, very briefly but they did.




This is a view of the mountain on the other side of the lake, I'm standing at our campsite when I took it.



I would have taken more photos but my batteries kept going flat at the most annoying times! Jo has more which she'll be passing on to me. I might post some of those when I get them.

The weather wasn't the best when we were down there, quite often it was overcast and windy. At night we froze and the wind kept most of us awake most nights. One night saw Emily in with us and then later joined by Sarah-Jane, Terry ended up in the girls tent with Aimee that night and I ended up in the annex bit of our tent freezing because there was no floor in that area, Em and SJ had a good sleep though! Another night Aimee ended up in bed with me and once again Terry moved to the girls tent - that was the night the wind just about blew our tents down! But we had a great time with me winning most of the games of Rummikub that Steve, Jo, Terry & I played (had to put that one in!), Steve won Crib and Jo won Trivial Pursuit. Terry did win a game or two of Rummikub.
Terry managed to fit in a golf game and played well. Jo and I did a lunch and shopping day together.
We went on a day trip to Queenstown which we didn't think much of in the fact that it is so touristy that it was a bit of a let down, everything was so expensive. We stopped at Cadrona (spelling?) at a pub that is famous for something which I forget at the moment - but it's really old and it is a very pretty place.
All in all it was a lovely time and we'd be quite happy going back.


This is Emily throwing up rose petals and Sarah-Jane took the photo; nothing to do with Wanaka but this is a great photo.


Well I better get my butt into gear and get tea going. I'm not feeling that well so if I start now (4:30pm) it might be ready on time.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:31 PM, Blogger ray said…

    great photos. Sounds like you had a memorable time. Love and Miss you!

     
  • At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great blog Lyddy. It was good to get a visual overview of your holiday. Sounds like plenty of activities which must have made for really great family time.
    I think that photo Sarah-Jane has taken is FANTASTIC. She really has an eye for photos and frames well I think. She could enter that photo in a competition... it would be good if it was a young amateurs comp I think.
    Love Rach

     
  • At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well it is easy to see you had a very interesting holiday. I asked the girls what was the best thing they liked about the holiday. Aimee and Sarah-Jane both said the Lake. Emily said the swimming. I suppose yours would have been bed swaping and Terry either biking or loseing gulf balls. Love Nana S.

     
  • At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    These pictures make me homesick for decent mountains!!
    Glad you had a great holiday together.
    Love Mum

     

Post a Comment

<< Home